Monday, January 25, 2010

Chapter 4, Creating Job Positions

1. This Chapter talks about creating jobs and what resources, information, requirements, and money will be needed. There is much more to it than I had originally anticipated. I figured you just realize it when you need more help and hire someone. For a small company, like the one I used to work for, that is probably much harder than for a big company where office supplies and work stations are easier to spread around.
2. I think the book talks a lot about preparation for hiring new employees, but I thought maintaining and altering new positions should take just as much, if not more consideration for the HR person. If you hire a new position and it goes the wrong direction, or isn't efficient, you might as well not have even hired for it.
3. You have to involve your staff, even after they're hired to make sure they're all communicating.
You have to make sure the new person understands what they need to do to create this new position.
You also have to check with other employees around you to make sure that the new person is really doing a good job from all perspectives. It is possible that they could only be trying to look good and help out for management, and not anyone else.
4. What should you do when you know a new employee isn't right for a new position you created. Should you cut your losses right away, or keep trying to train them and make them into the person you thought they would be? If not, is it even possible to be that person, for anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment